1 - Renouncement of the world (6 days)
The spirit of the world consists essentially in the denial of the supreme dominion of God, a denial which is manifested in practice by sin and disobedience; thus it is principally opposed to the spirit of Christ, which is also that of Mary and Joseph.
During this time we should consider and meditate upon our lowliness and nothingness. We should consider our origin in original sin, and how this leaves us so prone to sin at every turn. We should recall the sinful course of our life and our present sinful state. We should look to the future when the corruption of death will lay claim to us.
- Prayers to be said each day: Veni Creator; Ave Maris Stella; and the Litany of St. Joseph
- Petition: contrition for our sins and knowledge of ourselves in a spirit of humility
- Reading for the 6 days: from the Gospel of St. Matthew, Chapters 5 to 10; one chapter by day.
- Spiritual exercises:
1. Examination of conscience, good confession, and communion in honor of St. Joseph.
2. To practice a daily renouncement or mortification in honor of St. Joseph.
3. Pray one Rosary each day in honor of Mary and Joseph in front of their images.
(Purity of heart is the indispensable condition for contemplating God in Heaven, to see Him on earth, and to know Him, Mary and Joseph by the light of faith.)